Having worked in the past years as a translator and interpreter for some news agencies and journalists, I have collected some of the most interesting websites about Balkans.
If you want to know more about Balkans or just keep up to date with the latest news going on there, take a look at this list.
- Balkan Insight: it’s the leading news site in English covering the Western Balkans region (former Yugoslavia, Albania, Bulgaria and Romania). They also have special sections and investigating dossiers. A very, very professional, up-to-date, reliable source of information.
- Another important news portal is SETimes.com which provides news and information about Albania, former Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Romania, but also about Greece, Moldova and Turkey. They write in Albanian, Bosnian, Croatian, English, Greek, Macedonian and Serbian, and this is what I really like about this portal. They translate comments, too!
- Balkanist is a very interesting bilingual (English/Serbian) website about Balkan region, featuring, as they say, “politics, analysis, culture, and criticism for a smart international audience underwhelmed by what is currently on offer”.
- South-Eastern Europe at LSE is the blog of LSEE – Research on SEE, the South East Europe Research Unit of the London School of Economics and Political Science. It’s academic research written for a wider audience: interviews, articles and much more. Definitely worth reading!
- New Eastern Europe is a news magazine focusing on Central and Eastern European affairs providing in-depth analysis.
- AnsaMed is the Italian press agency ANSA’s news network devoted to the Mediterranean and Persian Gulf region. You can find news in English, Arabic and Italian and you can also select news per country (see on bottom of the page).
- Tirana Times as the title suggests is an English-language news portal about Albania. Also, you have Slovenia Times and Croatian Times.
- Speaking about Slovenia, there is also a weekly newsletter in English provided by Slovenian Government Communication Office. Check it at this link.
- Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso is the main Italian portal about Balkan and Caucasian areas. They provide news in Italian, but lots of articles are translated into Croatian, Serbian, English and other languages.
- If you speak French, check Le Courrier des Balkans. You might find it of interest.
- Maybe the most famous English-speaking platform about culture and society in Balkans is B-Turn. They focus on “music, film, design and technology, as well as a range of socio-political issues, from education to sexuality”.
- For those who want to know more about economy, finance and above all investments in South-East Europe, the three-language (Serbian, Greek, English) portal Balkans can be very helpful.
Last but not least, if you know Serbian and Croatian or if you are learning this language and you wish to practice your reading skills, I think the following websites are worth a look.
- H-Alter far from being a mere news service, is an alternative, non-conventional source of information, including very interesting critiques and providing food for thought.
- Pešćanik (en. hourglass) is an online magazine which includes articles and personal views about the latest news and events in Serbia and abroad. They also have a translations’ section (prevodi) where they publish translations in Serbian of interesting articles published on foreign magazines.
- Radio Free Europe and the Germany’s international broadcaster Deutsche Welle have a great news service in around 30 languages (!), and also a section about Balkans.
If you know other interesting websites, feel free to share your links in the comment section. Hvala!